Specialized Care Areas - EECP
Enhanced External Counter Pulsation [EECP] is a non-surgical, non-invasive treatment for certain cases of coronary artery disease and congestive cardiac failure. Prince Aly Khan Hospital is one of only two such facilities in Mumbai. Following bypass surgery, only 75% of patients are symptom free from ischemic events and continue to have symptoms even after maximal surgical and medical intervention. EECP is a boon for patients who are unfit for surgery due to other complicating conditions. Prince Aly Khan Hospital also offers this treatment to patients who prefer not to choose surgical treatment. The treatment is carried out on a comfortable out-patient basis.
Heart failure or Congestive Heart Failure (CHF), another devastating condition, affects millions of lives in India. It is seen at all ages, but is more common among the elderly. Current treatment options just relieve, but never completely eliminate the symptoms. Angina, swelling of extremities, breathlessness and fatigue are the common symptoms. Prince Aly Khan Hospital offers EECP to patients, a more promising treatment that frees patients from the clutches of heart diseases.
EECP potentially treats heart-failure and angina which is chest pain or discomfort that occurs when the heart muscles do not get enough blood. Angina is the most common coronary heart disease and may feel like pressure or a squeezing pain in the patient’s chest. Angina patients complain of chest discomfort provoked by physical, emotional or mental stress. Patients experience shortness of breath, fatigue, indigestion, faintness, or pain in the chest, arm, neck or jaw.
Narrowed or blocked coronary arteries restrict blood flow to the heart and are the commonest cause of Angina. Angina can be disabling as it restricts ability to work and perform activity.
EECP is an excellent option with long lasting benefits :
- EECP Treatment Is A Non-Invasive Outpatient Procedure
- It Is A Non–Traumatic Option For Chronic, Refractory Angina. It Decreases The Pain Associated With Angina
- EECP Decreases The Need For Medication
- EECP Reduces Chances For Bypass Surgery Or Balloon Angioplasty In The Future
- EECP Decreases The Amount Of Angina Attacks And Pains
- EECP Increases Time To Exercise – Induced Ischemia
- EECP Makes It Easier For Patients To Exercise Without Having Chest Pain
- EECP Is A Safe And Well Tolerated Therapy
- EECP Demonstrates Efficacy And Safety In Long Term Follow Up Studies
- EECP May Eliminate Or Diminish The Need For Anti-Angina Drugs
- EECP Makes Good Economic Sense For Patients